I love this quote. And at this time in our history, I truly believe we are all struggling to find joy and happiness. A collective sense -as citizens of the United States - that we are in a battle of good against evil.
Strong words, yes, but what I believe.
So how, in this setting, do I find happiness? And how do I feel alive? Happy to BE alive?
Well I found one way recently: I took a class based on the book The Artist's Way by Julian Cameron.
I felt so much happiness even thinking of beginning to use the ideas and material in the book. I ordered it -although I have probably had at least 3 copies over the years - and just got it yesterday.
It has inspired me to start writing 'morning pages', 3 pages of handwritten stream of consciousness in the morning. And to begin to think of 'Artist Way Dates' with myself that I can do, take or try. Some I love to do anyway, and many new adventures. There was a list of over 100 ideas....and here are a few:
1. Go to the beach and make a picture in the sand with a stick.
2. Check out an art supply store and just wander around and see what catches your eye. Two of our favorites: Seattle Recreative and Artist's and Craftsman.
3. Take your camera on a walk and snap on what inspires you.
4. Go swing dancing. Century Ballroom in Seattle has great classes and dances in all types (salsa, swing, walt
5. Go to the beach on low tide and see what critters are showing up in the tide pools
6. Check out a local museum and only look at what art calls to you. The Frye Museum is one of our favorites.
7.Take a notepad with you to a coffee shop and draw whatever calls to you
8. Learn a song on the harmonica - youtube is a great place to learn the basics of how to play
9. Go to a music store and look at all the cool instruments (and allow yourself to strum some even if you have never played one before). American Music in Seattle has some great instruments to check out.
10. Go to a slam poetry event. In Seattle, check out Seattle Poetry Slam.
Some of these might interest you...or NOT! It is ok. What do you want to do....???? Where can you find happiness, joy..a sense of being ALIVE!
If you are struggling with these ideas...NOT finding joy or happiness or feeling alive, call/text 360-432-1236. I can help.